How to Measure Mid Upper Arm Circumference with MUAC Tape
The MUAC tape measure (Mid-Upper Arm Circumference) is special to measure the mid upper arm circumference of infants from 6 - 59 months (26cm), children from 10 - 18 years (45cm), adults and pregnant women (56cm).
It is based on UNICEF guidelines and marked with colors to easily identify the degree of acute malnutrition, moderate acute malnutrition and the imminent risk of acute malnutrition, it value is in centimeters.
What is the Normal Mid Arm Circumference?
For Children between 6 to 59 Months
- Red indicates severe malnutrition - Less than 11.5 cm
- Yellow indicates risk of malnutrition - From 11.5cm to 12.5cm
- Green may indicate risk of acute malnutrition - Between 12.5cm to 13.5cm
- Green Greater than 13.5cm represents adequate nutrition.
For Pregnant Women and Postpartum
- If the value indicated by the arrows is less than 24cm, it indicates acute malnutrition and nutritional treatment measures should be taken.
Measuring Mid Arm Circumference with MUAC Tape
It is necessary to know the midpoint of the arm before taking the upper arm circumference. People with experience in anthropometric measurements can easily identify the midpoint of the arm without taking a measurement, however, if you do not have such knowledge consider the following:
- Identify and mark the acromion (lateral shoulder bone) and olecranon (elbow bone) with an erasable pencil.
- With the patient's right arm bent 90 ° close to the trunk, place an anthropometric tape measure with the 0 at the marked point of the acromion and extend to the olecranon.
- Without removing the tape, read the total measurement and identify half of it and mark it on the arm.
- Insert the end of the MUAC tape through the hole where the indicator arrows are located.
- At the midpoint of the marked arm, place the MUAC tape measure with the thickest part where the indicator arrows meet in front of your visual field.
- Adjust the tape to the size of the arm without exerting pressure and read the measurement
From 10 to 1000 Units
If you need a quote for wholesales you can contact us with the following form Purchase Orders We accept special orders.
International Buying InfoShop our Amazon international stores for fast, easy, localized purchase: International Shipping From the USA Info
Become a Distributor